Thursday, September 4, 2008

3rd Times the Charm!


So this is how bad a cook I am...

*1st Attempt*
My mother in law gave me a beautiful eggplant from her garden about a month ago and also gave me the recipe for eggplant Parmesan. I was so excited to try and make it! She makes it so yummy. I get home, cut up the eggplant, grease the pan, dip the eggplant into the beaten egg and then into the flour mixture and get to cooking. Well I had the grease too hot and burned the eggplant! It was just a little black... so I scrapped off what I could and put it in the pan, added my tomato soup and put er in the microwave. Dustin had just got home when it was done cooking. I gave him the first bite. It was so gross, you could taste the burn.. YUCK! So we fed it to Butch.

*2nd Attempt*
I kept the story of the burnt eggplant to myself and asked Gaye for another one. This time I remembered to keep the heat low and "brown" the eggplant, not blacken the eggplant. But alas having three children asking when dinner will be ready and anticipating Dustin's arrival from work... I mixed up the flour and salt measurements! I put 1/4 cup salt in instead of 1/2 tsp salt!!!! You may ask what was I thinking? Shouldn't I have noticed that was a whole lot of salt??!!! Well I guess I should've but I didn't... so that is how bad of a cook I am. Anyway, I didn't notice the little mix up until after the eggplant parmesan was cooked and we were eating it. Wow, was that a surprise. It was like taking a big drink of ocean water!!! YUCK! So again we fed it to Butch... but he didn't like it either.

*3rd Attempt*
I browned not burned the eggplant
added 1/2 tsp salt
poured over the tomato soup
added the parmesan
cooked it in the microwave for 8 minutes
AND
we sat down and ate a yummy eggplant parmesan!

I guess what they say is true.. the 3rd time is the charm.
Maybe it's because I didn't have anything left to screw up. But I did it and we had a delicious dinner last night and Butch only got dog food! Now I thought I'd share the recipe...

Eggplant Parmesan

1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 beaten egg with a little water added
1 medium eggplant - cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 can of homemade tomato soup
parmesan cheese
mozzerella cheese

*combine flour and salt
*dip eggplant into beaten egg then the flour mixture
*in a large skillet brown the egglant slices in hot oil - drain on paper towel
*place one layer of eggplant in 10x6 baking dish
*sprinkle with parmesan cheese and layer as needed
*pour boiled homemade tomato soup over
*sprinkle mozzerella and parmesan cheese on top
*microwave 8 minutes


Good luck!
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Design by Boots By The Backdoor