Thursday, August 19, 2010

17 Weeks

Just this last Monday I had an appointment with the "baby doctor." Everything went really well. I made another solo trip to Vegas! Woot woot. Go Me! I'm a big girl now. Baby is healthy and growing normally. The doc said the ultrasound from my last appointment was "beautiful." And hey, I'm healthy too. Score.

They sent me home with a little goody bag full of magazines, brochures, formula, a little shirt for the newest Nelson and a pregnancy planner. When I got home I was going through everything, mostly throwing away the brochures.. I don't plan on cord blood banking.. and Allie was "helping" me. When she came across the pregnancy planner she asked if she could have it. It looked like a normal day planner to me, and I know Allie loves to pretend play with any kind of paper.. so I said sure. Well little did I know.. there were fetal development pictures inside! GASP!

A few minutes after I gave her the planner she came up to me and said, "Mommy is this really what our baby looks like?" So I flipped to the page with the 14-18 week picture and showed her what the baby looks like inside my tummy.

"Mommy why is the baby in a bubble?"
"Um, because that is how the baby lives inside my tummy."
"Oh. Kinda like Sandy on Sponge Bob?"
"Yes honey, just like Sandy on Sponge Bob! (Laughing)"




Our baby


Allie has been super inquisitive this pregnancy. She was really too young to "get" what was happening when I was pregnant with Mark and Estefan takes the boy approach of don't ask, don't tell. So this has kinda taken me all by surprise. I figured these questions would come... but I don't know what to tell her?! The truth of course.. but without details.

"How did the baby get in there?"
"When will it come out?"
"How does it get out?"

Ahhhhh........ (crickets chirpping)

Right now I'm going with the Dennis the Menace explanation.

Dennis: The most important thing is they marry the women, then the women can go down and get the baby.
Margaret: The baby is in her stomach.
Dennis: She has to get it installed. Her stomach isn't just filled up with babies.
Margaret: Who installed some?
Dennis: A minister and a doctor.
Margaret: How?
Dennis: 'How'?
Joey: [
laughs] She wants to know how?
Margaret: Tell me, Dennis. How?
Dennis: The bellybutton-it opens up.
Margaret: How come men have them?
Dennis: So they don't look weird in bathing suits.


I like this scene too.. tee hee..

Margaret: You know why men are so lousey when it comes to taking care of babies?
Dennis: They have better things to do.
Margaret: Like what? Play golf and drink beer?
Dennis: No, like hunting, having wars, driving cars, shaving, cleaning fish. Do you know how to do that?
Joey: Me?
Dennis: Margaret.
Joey: Oh, okay.
Margaret: If you didn't have women, you wouldn't have babies, which means you wouldn't have people.
Joey: And if you didn't have men, who'd drive the ladies to the hospital?


P.S. I have my second ultrasound on the 30th. So we'll know if the baby is a boy or a girl in less than two weeks!! (Insert heel click here) YAY!
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Design by Boots By The Backdoor