Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Freezing Spaghetti Sauce (Small Recipe)


Spaghetti Sauce

1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs cooking oil
2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and cup up
or 1 28 oz can of tomatoes
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
2 tsp instant beef bouillon granules
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cup water
1 large bay leaf

****This recipe is super easy. There is no canning or straining involved. The only time consuming part is the scalding and peeling of the tomatoes.****

The recipe calls for 2 lbs of tomatoes but I had about 9 lbs so I had to times the recipe by four. But in my directions I'll stick to the regular amounts. If you have more than 2 lbs of tomatoes just add to the recipe as needed!

1. Prepare tomatoes- scald and peel.

2. In a 3 quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in oil
I suffer sooooooo badly when I cut up onions.. so mine aren't finely chopped... It just makes for chunkier sauce.

3. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, bouillon granules, oregano, basil, bay leaf, salt, pepper and stir in water.

4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 1/4 hour. Stirring occasionally.
5. Remove Bay leaf and simmer for 15 more minutes.
Your sauce should look something like this...
Since the sauce doesn't need to be canned you can just used quart size freezer bags!
6. Label your bags with the date and contents before you pour in the sauce.

7. Pour 3 cups of sauce into each bag and remove excess air.

8. Lay bags flat on a cookie sheet and tick em in the freezer while still on the cookie sheet so they'll freeze flat for easier storage!
Now you are done!! You can enjoy your sauce immediately or put it in the freezer for later use!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Extra stuff:
**Mark being a good helper!! **
**A bonus recipe for meatballs to go with your spaghetti! **I made this 3x5 card in photoshop. Just right click it and copy it into a word document and print. Then ta-da a recipe card just for you, from me!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Design by Boots By The Backdoor