I've been riding my new horse, Gus, almost everyday and he's doing very well. Yesterday we had a little miscommunication and I ended up in the dirt but we're over that and today was much better. He's only two years old and still has a lot of training to do - but we are learning together.
So in honor of my cowboy antics I made Cowboy Casserole. I found the recipe in Parenting magazine and my whole family loved it! So of course I have to share it with ya'll.
The magazine called it Cowboy Bake but I think the alliteration of Cowboy Casserole makes it sound that much more yummy!
Cowboy Casserole
Cooking spray1 medium onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tbs olive oil
1 lb boneless chicken breast, cubed
1 (10oz) can tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
pinch chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
Topping: 1 (8.5oz) package corn bread mix
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes.
2. Add chicken and brown, then add tomatoes, corn, chili powder, salt, and pepper to skillet and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into pie pan and top with grated cheese.
3. In a mixing bowl, prepare corn bread mix according to the package. Spread evenly over chicken mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until corn bread topping is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling!
Its super yummy! Happy cooking!

